Wildcat Conversion - FAQ
Wildcat converts and migrates old, legacy or failing applications from a wide range of different technologies to high quality web-based applications. Wildcat combines breakthrough automatic conversion technology and expert analysis.
Here’s our FAQ, or download a printable version.
Q. What system problems or limitations does a Wildcat conversion solve?
Wildcat Conversion resolves the following common problems:
- Prohibitive licence and running costs
- Locked into unsupported/proprietary technology
- Change management risks
- Security and privacy shortcomings
- Technical limitations (no access for phones & devices, maps, bulk communication and direct client engagement)
- Performance and scalability limitations
- Data duplication and integrity problems
- Usability problems, non-standard user interfaces
- Accessibility limitations and equal opportunity compliance problems
- Lack of documentation
- Inability to source expert knowledge, developer and support resources
Converted systems run on the battle-hardened Skyve Enteprise Platform - an open-source platform with zero licence fees, open-standards, best-practice security, enterprise features, powerful data management tools, accessibility and usability features and the freedom to exit at any time.
Q. Which Systems are Convertible?
Wildcat can convert almost all ODBC compliant applications, including:
- MS Access (mdb and accdb)
- NET, C#.NET, ASP.NET
- Oracle Forms
- Excel workbooks & CSV files
- ASP, JSP, PHP
- Peoplesoft, SAP, Siebel, Prophecy, SugarCRM, MYOB and many more...
And any system with these as a backend:
- SQL Server
- Flat-file based storage systems
- and many others (just ask us if your system isn’t on the list)
Even if your system isn't ODBC compliant - we can probably find a way - we haven't seen a system yet we couldn't convert!
Q. What size systems can be converted with Wildcat?
Wildcat conversion is suitable for both small single-user applications and large-scale multi-user systems with hundreds of millions of rows.
Q. Can you convert systems if there is no access to the code base or there is no or inadequate documentation?
Yes. However, completing the conversion may take a little longer if there is lack of clarity about requirements.
Q. Can you convert systems if the existing system uses proprietary technology?
Yes. Provided you own the data and don’t have a licence arrangement that precludes you accessing the data directly.
Q. Following conversion, what operating system will our application run on?
The resulting application will be a browser-based solution accessible on common devices and browser running on the Skyve Enterprise Platform.
Skyve runs on any operating system that has a Java Virtual Machine, including Windows, linux, Mac OS etc...
Q. WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SKYVE?
The Skyve Enterprise Platform is a new open-source low-code platform offered under LGPL licencing.
Skyve uses the Java programming language and is freely downloadable from GitHub.
No licence fees are required to use Skyve, however we offer a range of support arrangements and training options if required. We also offer a range of additional modules and products, like CRM and Timesheet modules which are not included in the open-source version.
Q. CAN THE CONVERTED SYSTEM BE HOSTED INTERNALLY OR IN THE CLOUD (I.E. AWS, Azure & Google Cloud)?
Yes, all of the above and many more!
Skyve applications have been successfully deployed in a range of environments including Government DMZ networks as secure and robust external facing applications, 3rd party hosting providers and internal networks.
Q. WHAT DEVICES CAN THE CONVERTED SYSTEM BE USED ON?
The resulting applications are accessible on common browsers and devices (desktops, laptops, tablets, smart-phones and other browser enabled devices).
Q. How secure is the resulting application?
Skyve enforces best-practice security measures such as TLS/SSL encryption, CORS, HSTS, user input sanitisation and has met the security requirements for public facing applications for a number of government organisations.
Skyve applications also comply with the OWASP web application security best practices.
Q. WHAT ARE THE ONGOING FEES?
The resulting applications use open-source software with zero licence fees.
Q. HOW WILL THIS HELP US AVOID BEING LOCKED-IN OR CAPTIVE TO ANY VENDOR OR SYSTEM?
All converted application components are in human readable files and standard open formats, and the Skyve platform is open-source and our platform source-code is freely available.
In addition, the resulting application includes extensive and powerful data extraction capabilities, avoiding Vendor or Technology Lock-In.
Q. WHO ELSE HAS USED CONVERTED APPLICATIONS?
Wildcat converted applications have been used for mission critical solutions by a number of government and private organisations, including:
- Australian Federal and State Government organisations
- Regulatory Bodies
- Private Corporations
- Small Businesses
Q. WHAT ENHANCED FUNCTIONALITY IS POSSIBLE WITH CONVERTED APPLICATIONS?
Converted applications can take advantage of sophisticated out-of-the-box platform features like:
- Automatic rendering for tablets, devices and smart-phones, including iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows etc
- Maps and spatial concepts, including spatial queries
- Administration module including user role-based security, backup and restore, system dashboard and data import and export tools
- Full activity auditing and tracking (optional)
- File and content uploads, including PDF, MS Office documents, images and many others
- Bulk communication and notification capabilities
- Powerful advanced filtering, searching and reporting
- Forms and data management
- Easy export of data to PDF and Excel to create your own reports
- Charts & dashboards
- Jobs and offline processing
Q. HOW DOES THE FIXED-PRICE PROGRAM WORK?
Step 1 – Enquiry & Pre-Qualification – a run through a pre-flight checklist to answer basic questions to make sure we can help you
Step 2 – Wildcat Conversion analysis and proof of concept conversion
- We build a working proof of concept application with your migrated data for your assessment and free-play
- We provide a detailed analysis report of your existing system, including identifying risks and opportunities
- We provide either a fixed price plan for straight forward conversions, or for large and complex systems, a fixed price scoping study (RFP Ready)
Step 3 – Fixed Price conversion OR scoping study (RFP Ready)
Step 4 – Switch over and go live
For approved customers, if you pay in advance, we’ll back it all with a full money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied that we’ve provided you real value!
Q. How do you reduce our risk?
Apart from the risk benefit of less code that is more maintainable, high quality integration and simple deployment, we offer a full money back guarantee for the fixed-price program if you pay up-front.
Q. When is a Wildcat Conversion Process NOT recommended?
Wildcat conversion is not recommended when:
- You do not own the existing data, or
- You have licence arrangements with your current provider that expressly exclude access to your data.
Q. How do we start?
Go to our new project enquiry form and tell us about your situation, and book a time for a chat. We’ll take it from there.